Feeling under the weather?
I am sick, I have been for a few days now and it’s really messing up with my schedule. Too be honest I hardly ever get sick. Maybe once a year at most, but this year I have been sick with the flue or cold twice now. WTF! Both times I have been dealing with some stressful life situations and felt that little tickle in the back of my throat creep up on me.
Today I am still feeling under the weather…. But instead of making this post all about me and how miserable I feel. (Let’s take a moment here to inspect, something I have been wondering for some time now. What the heck does under the weather have to do with being sick anyways?)
UNDER THE WEATHER – “Ik Marvel, a pseudonym that resulted from a misprinting of J.K. Marvel, was the pen name of American author Donald Grant Mitchell. In his ‘Reveries of a Bachelor’ Ik Marvel is the first to record ‘under the weather,’ which has been a synonym for everything from ‘ill and indisposed’ to ‘financially embarrassed’ and ‘drunk,’ and has even been a synonym for ‘the discomfort accompanying menstruation.” From “Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins” by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).
: To be under the weather is to be unwell. This comes again from a maritime source. In the old days, when a sailor was unwell, he was sent down below to help his recovery, under the deck and away from the weather.
Here’s a similar one I found: “Under the weather. To feel ill. Originally it meant to feel seasick or to be adversely affected by bad weather. The term is correctly ‘under the weather bow’ which is a gloomy prospect; the weather bow is the side upon which all the rotten weather is blowing.”
Sources are found here: Read More Here
Ok so what does a real food, holistic minded Nutritionist do when she is ” under the weather ” ? She complains and writes a blog post… True story.
5 Healing Tips from a Nutritionist, for when you are sick
- Sip on Holy Basil Tea: This yummy tea is a mild herbal flavor and has a beautiful golden and green color to it. Packed full of nourishing tid bits that will not only help sooth your sore throat, it will help boost your immune system, help with breathing and lungs as well.
- Take a Epsom Salt bath : I love this.. sometimes if you really feel icky keep the water at body temp ( cooler then your regular hot bath ) Otherwise you might feel REALLY tired and some one ill after. We want to encourage relaxation but we don’t want it to turn into a What’s Eating Gilbert Grape scenario.
- Get your hands on some Medicinal Mushrooms – If your knew this this the single pre made packets are simple and easy to use. Lions Main is good if you need to focus and can’t .. Because we don’t always have the option to “stay home” when you are sick. We sometimes still need to show up… For work, as mother, as a father, as a friend etc. Reishi is good for relaxation, and Chaga is powerful and immune boosting! There are MANY more but those are the most commonly known kinds. This is where I get all my Mushroom inspiration from.
- Sweat it Out!: In an infrared sauna If your feeling up for it you could rent a few sessions in a sauna. This is a personal choice that I love to advocate for. That being said if you are knew to infrared sauna’s its best to consult your MD first and try it out on a day that you feel really good and hydrated. Not the best choice to test it out when you are feeling sick!
- Catch up on your ZZZ’s with herbal tea’s like Valerian Root, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Lavender.
- Knock your self out: Haha this one is not holistic advice but it’s something I use when I feel really bad. I use a bit of Night Time Cold and Flue Medication .. Just what ever you can get at your local pharmacy or drug store. I personally do not like the Day Time stuff because it makes me way to jumpy. But if your missing quality sleep, and need something this could be a good option.
- Keep Moving: Even if you feel like garbage, a quick walk around the block, with your face in the sun, can do wonders for your energy, and over all well-being. Not going outside? NO problem check out my favorite Short Yoga at Home Video’s for when you are sick. Yoga for when you are Sick – Yoga with Adriene Yoga for when you are Hungover – Yoga with Adriene
I hope my tricks help you feel better faster!